Cottagecore: A slice of simplicity (and chaos)
“Fashion is all about self-expression, and right now, we believe there is an uplifting feeling of joy.”
Emma Bowman perfectly sums up why our brand is so excited about this trend when she said that "cottagecore is about embracing sustainability, community and kindness”. It sounds like heaven! The trend first popped up around 2009 when young adults and teenagers celebrated and idolised a rural way of life, and it has made a resurgence this season. People are gravitating towards clothes, food, art, and culture that boosts their mood - so big, bright, bold colours and details are a non-negotiable.
The magic of this trend lies in its ability to soothe, and distract, from the stresses of our everyday life - it allows us to exist outside of a reality that we’re currently experiencing. So grab your gingham, and let’s get ready for Summer 2021!!
With our eyes (and our hearts) very much focused on Summer 2021, we wanted to give you all a sneak peak into what we’ve been working on - think pink, think gingham, think bold, think bright. We are all about bringing life and excitement back into fashion this Summer!
- Lean into colours that just make you beam - pinks, lilacs, greens
- Dresses: from puff sleeves to floaty silhouettes
- Accessories - no outfit is quite complete without the perfect accessory (yes we mean crocs, get ready guys!)
How to rock the Cottagecore trend:
One of the best aspects of this trend is its ease and flexibility, it allows for the OTT dresser and the minimalist to enjoy the same pieces, just in a different way.
- An OTT gingham dress with a pair of white sneakers is sure to make you the envy of every picnic you go to
- You know we love a set at Me&B, why not rock a gorgeous, bold print with a basic cami to get that easy, breazy summer feeling
- Crocs and sandals
- If you aren’t a fan of big, bold prints/silhouettes - why not add a fun hat to your outfit
Where to see the trend:
A great way to start prepping for your summer wardrobe is to start following some fabulous creatives who have been rocking the Cottagecore trend. We’ve compiled a list of some fabulous women for you to draw some inspo from:
- @nycxclothes - Shelcy and Christy are two sisters living in NYC who have fully embraced the ‘let’s runaway’ notion of Cottage Core, but continue to inject their sleek NYC style into the trend. Why we love them: they show that cottage core doesn’t always have to be over the top prints and bold colours - cottage core is not always just an outfit - it is a mindset guys!
- @hillhousevintage - Paula Sutton from Hill House Vintage consistently manages to put all our cottage core dreams into her house, from her gorg array of flowers to her perfectly organised bookshelf and not to mention the fabulous cottage core outfits she’s always rocking - Paula is one to follow for non stop core inspo!
- @belleandbunty - Alice & Hannah from Belle and Bunty are London based fashion designers/content creators and stylists who have fully embraced the fun side of the Cottagecore trend! We love how they manage to make the trend seem effortless and casual - nothing better than a gorgeous dress with a sneaker right?!
- @nicoleocran - Nicole is a girl of our own hearts: a body positive influencer who isn’t afraid of all things bold and bright - she has jumped on the cottage core bandwagon with such conviction that we just cannot stop refreshing her page to see what she has planned for us next!
- @thegirlwiththegreenbow - Elena’s page gives us all the flower/baking/fruit feels we could ever need!!
- Last but not least, give our Pinterest Page (meandbshop) a follow to see what we’ve been loving!
As always, we love to see how you put your own personal twist on the trend! Tag us in your Me&B outfits on instagram.
Thanks for reading, sharing and loving - we can’t wait to show you what we’ve been working on!
The Me&B Team